Monday 31 December 2012

The Hiatus and the Resolution


As it is Monday, and the last day of 2012, I thought an update was in order.

I would like to explain the December hiatus for anyone who may have been curious. I decided to take December to recoup and work on making my home livable, so it was planned, but unannounced. I didn't expect anyone to be put out by my disappearance. If anyone was checking for updates, I apologize to them for my silence on the matter. I shall endeavour to give warning the next time I plan a hiatus, but as you will soon read, that shouldn't be for a while.

It's been a fantastic time of year, to my very great surprise. Christmas was quiet, work has been busy, and in the time between, there was much productivity. I have my bedroom in order for the first time in my life. I have shelves full of books which I can see from my bed. I can't explain how at peace that makes me feel, and now that my bedroom is organized, the rest of the house will follow!

As for New Years, a late colleague of mine spoke against New Years resolutions. He said that if you know there's something wrong in your life you shouldn't wait for a specific time of year to set it right, and I am inclined to agree with him, but I don't feel this negates the tradition of a New Years resolution.

New Years Eve gives us an opportunity to think about the past year. It's a marker, a milestone, a way post if you like. It gives us a reason to look back and discover things which we haven't accomplished, the places we've fallen, and the things we've let slide because this or that has gotten in the way. I agree that we ought to begin correcting things in our lives as soon as we notice something wrong with them, and New Years lends us an opportunity to pause and notice those things when we otherwise might not. So....

Be it here recorded that I resolve the following:


     1. That I shall continue my healthy exercise and weight loss until I reach my goal of a comfortable figure.

     2. That I shall, by January's end, have made my house a tidy, comfortable home, and keep it that way.

     3. That I shall improve my skills in my chosen field by a noticeable degree every month.

     4. That I shall update my blog at least weekly, on Monday mornings.

     5. That I shall, by year end 2013, be able to offer my services professionally.


Some of this may seem fairly trivial, and some very weighty, but I believe these five things will pose an acceptable challenge for me. I fear I may fail, but I also hope to succeed.

Thanks for reading,


-Step.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you the best of luck in all of your resolutions. I think you can do anything you set your mind to. I also feel I will fail my resolutions however I am going to do my darn best to succeed. Happy new Years step and I look forward to future updates.

    ReplyDelete