Monday 11 February 2013

Hearts and Flowers



Saint Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, and orders for chocolates and flowers (usually roses) will be higher on that day than on any other during the year except one (Mother’s Day). Very little is known about the real St. Valentine. In fact there were more than one Saints who carried that name, but the one who died on February the 14th had something to do with “courtly love”.

I didn’t really do my research on this guy, this is just what I’ve picked up in passing and from Catholic friends.

Saint Valentine’s Day is no longer recognized by the Roman Catholic Church, but try telling that to the rest of the world! The corporate machine which drives the sales of cards, flowers, chocolates, clovers and blue moons, would be very put out if they were suddenly without this scapegoat.

Now someone out there (probably a woman) is going to tell me that I don’t understand because I’m a man, and men don’t care about such things (insinuating that we should). I have this rebuttal.

I’ve bought flowers for every woman with whom I’ve had a long term relationship, and they’ve given me that satisfying girly blush and giggle, but if there’s been a note along with the flowers, a note telling them that I love and cherish them, that they brighten my day, that they make me want to make poetry and sing and sweep them off their feet, that’s when I see real emotion.

It’s not the flowers or the chocolates that makes the difference. It’s the thought. The thought really does count as much as the follow through. They are equal participants. Now, what I see happening with things like anniversaries, birthdays, and Valentines day, is that they remove thought from the equation. These dates tell a body “By golly! You need to go get your sweetheart flowers to show that you care!” and because you do care, and you don’t want your sweetheart to be upset, you go and buy the flowers, but there was no thoughtfulness, only follow through.

I’m not saying that having a day or three on the calendar to remind you to pay attention to your significant other is a bad thing, what I’m saying is Don’t Wait!

Today is February the 11th, and for me and my pet, this is Hearts and Flowers day. We didn’t choose a special day to substitute for Valentine’s, we just chose a random day off because there was a sappy movie coming out. We’re taking the day to spend together, the rest of the world be damned. We’re going to do all that sappy romantic stuff that people usually reserve for Valentine’s. Why wait until a special occasion when you can make one, and how is it special if everyone is doing the same thing?

Here’s a tip. Some random day when you’re at work and you think of your sweetie and it makes you smile, make a point of stopping on the way home and buying flowers, or better yet, a box of their favourite tea, or a book in a series they love. Don’t wait for a birthday, a graduation, Valentine’s day, or Christmas to show the people that matter to you that you love them. Show that you care when you feel it, when you are inspired. Make a habit of it, and that inspiration will come so much more easily the next time, and you’ll both be happier!

Thanks for reading,


-Step.

1 comment:

  1. For those of you who notice such things, the omission of the oxford comma in "clovers and blue moons" was intentional, as I considered this one list item instead of two, ain't I punny?

    ReplyDelete